Today I have another fantastic resource for you from Future Horizons! Lisa Lewis, Ph.D., has written some insightful materials about the effects of diet on children with ADHD, autism, celiac, food allergies, etc. Future Horizons has put two of her popular books into one volume–Special Diets for Special Kids: Volumes 1&2.
Here’s what I love about this book:
- Dr. Lewis explains the biology of food and some children’s intolerances/allergies in plain English! You don’t have to have a background in anatomy or your own medical degree to understand what she says! That alone makes this book valuable.
- LOTS of recipes–in fact there are over 200 recipes. Dr. Lewis also sprinkles in many tips!
- A free CD that contains all of the recipes so you can print them out and save your book from getting chocolate and tomato sauce stains on it! That, my friends, is genius in my humble opinion!
- This book is technically a softcover, but Future Horizons has made it a bit sturdier–it’s kind of laminated, and folds in like a book jacket. You can use the folds for bookmarks!
- It’s pretty! That’s not a must-have, but it sure is a plus! Many of the recipes have illustrations, and the book is quite colorful and pleasing to your tired eyes.
I have only two cons. First, those who get nervous in the kitchen might want a picture for every recipe. Secondly, for those on tight budgets, the price seems high–$34.95. However, the unique cover will help your book last longer, and you also get the CD which increases the value. Additionally, if you use my affiliate code HATS, you can receive a 15% discount! You will also receive free shipping if you live in the continental US. Check out Special Diets for Special Kids and get immediate help understanding and implementing the GFCF (gluten-free/casein-free) diet, and some others!